Monday

Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe

Pin It Now! My Homemade Southern Cornbread Dressing

6 cups crumbled cornbread
6 ounces butter
2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups finely chopped celery
3 cups chicken broth (or turkey broth)
Diced cooked liver, gizzard from the chicken/turkey
1 1/2 heaping tablespoon dried sage, crumbled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten


Heat oven to 400ºF.

Cook the liver, gizzard and heart with the neck of the bird with the chopped onions and celery and 1 tbsp butter in 3 cups broth till done. 
Set aside.  
Place the crumbled cornbread into a large bowl. 
Mix in the sage, salt and pepper.  
Strain the vegetables and take the meat from the neck. 
Combine the vegetables, diced liver/gizzard (heart if you're adventurous) with the crumbled cornbread.
Stir in about a cup of the liquid from the onion/celery/liver broth and the rest of the melted butter. 
Add the lightly beaten eggs.
At this point I add my secret ingredient...shhhhh.
1 tbsp of mayonnaisse. 
I don't mess around with a spoon, I dig in with both of my hands and mix it up.
You will need to add more liquid (the liquid/broth that the vegs and liver were cooked) at this point. 
You want it moist definitely not liquid...it's hard to gauge and I've been doing it for so long I could make this blind-folded.  
I just keep adding a little at a time until it's the right consistency.  

Spread the mixture in a large shallow baking or roasting pan measuring about 10" x 15". 
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.

If you need a homemade cornbread recipe...check out my recipe on this blog. 

Southern Jewel's Fab Finds