Monday

DIY Homemade Yogurt Recipe

Pin It Now! We eat so much greek yogurt in this household, I decided to try my hand at making my own. 
And what could be easier than using my handy dandy crock pot!
Set it and forget... almost. 
There's a few stages but nothing you have to babysit. 

You'll need your instant read thermometer and cheesecloth. 

Homemade  Crock Pot Yogurt Recipe

  • 1 gallon milk (I used full fat milk)
  • 1 cup yogurt unflavored or flavored (I use Cabot unflavored)
Pour the milk into the slow cooker and set it to HIGH.
Bring the milk to 180 degrees. 
Your instant read thermometer comes in handy at this step. 
This normally takes 2 hours. 



Turn off the crock pot (slow cooker) and let the milk cool down to 110 degrees. 
Use the instant read thermometer, again. 
This step normally takes about 2 hours. 



Mix a little of the warm milk into the room temperature starter yogurt. 
Gently stir into the crock pot milk mixture using an up and down, left and right motion.

Wrap a large bath towel/sheet around the crock pot and let it sit undisturbed
in a draft free, room temperature (or warmer) area for 10-12 hours or overnight. 



When you remove the lid you'll find that the milk has thickened and the whey has separated.

Line a colander with cheesecloth. 
Pour the yogurt into the colander. 


Place the colander over a bowl.
Don't worry if it all doesn't fit, let the yogurt strain until there's room enough to add the remaining yogurt, then continue to strain. 



I strain at room temperature, but some recipes state to put it in the fridge. It's up to you. 

Depending on how thick you want your yogurt, this can take several hours. Greek yogurt can take at least 4 hours. 

Once strained, you can either throw out the whey or save the whey (the clear liquid which is protein).


Your now ready to place the yogurt covered in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

I ended up with roughly 8 cups of Greek Yogurt. 

I sprinkle with granola, fruit and a drizzle of honey. 
Yummmmmmm!

And since my yogurt is unflavored I can use it as a substitute for sour cream, too!